Venues

Prehistory Museum of Valencia

The Prehistoric Research Service (SIP, for its acronym in Spanish) of the Provincial Council of Valencia and its Prehistory Museum were created in 1927 as a scientific institution dedicated to preserve, research and promote the rich archaeological patrimony of Valencia. Since its inception, the SIP has been involved in intense archaeological fieldwork such as the Bastida de les Alcusses of Moixent, the Cova Negra of Xàtiva, the Cova del Parpalló of Gandia and the Tossal de Sant Miquel of Llíria. The materials obtained from these excavations soon formed a collection with a scientific and patrimonial value that turned it into one of the most important museums in Spain. The Prehistory Museum has been running for more than 80 years. It moved to the old charity centre in 1982, and the current exhibition rooms on prehistory, Iberian culture and the Roman world, as well as the library, opened to the public in 1995.